Saturday, June 21, 2008

Roses, tennis and cakes

The other day the kids and I went out and cut off a few roses from our rose bush and put them in a vase in our kitchen. That was the first time we've ever been able to do that which was kinda cool.The last few weeks we've been doing a babysitting swap with another family in our neighborhood and it was our turn to go out again so this morning Scott and I went to the local high school and played tennis. It was so much fun! I had not played tennis much in the past, I was more of a soccer player, and so we didn't really play a serious game today, we just sort of volleyed the ball back and forth, and I practiced serving. The hardest part was trying to serve the ball so that it would land in the little (at least it seemed little to me) box that's diagonally across from me. By the end my right arm felt weak and tired which is a good thing because it means I was pushing myself. Perhaps I should start lifting weights, though you'd think carrying a baby around all day would be enough...I guess it just works different muscles. The only unpleasant thing was hearing the other tennis players on adjacent courts cuss, but what I did to help my ears not hear so much filth was I started yelling out my own phrases to block there's out. "Rats!", "Whoops-a-daisy!", "Are you ready for this?!" I also sang a little :), maybe next time they see us playing they'll decide to go somewhere else :), but if not, and if their cursing continues then they can just enjoy a little wholesome entertainment from our court.

When we got home Scott and the kids did some work out in the yard while I baked Elisabeth's cakes for her birthday party next week. I'll be making my first princess castle cake! It's a lot of work but what cake isn't? This one is going to be big so the baking part was more work than normal birthday cakes, though not quite as much work as you'd put into a wedding cake...but close. Now they're stacked, wrapped and sitting in the freezer so come Friday I'll just need to pull them out and frost and decorate them. I'll post pictures of the final product once it's all finished.

4 comments:

Rachel Lassen said...

Tennis is awesome!! Pete and I bought all new gear for tennis last summer, so we should get together some time and play doubles. I can't wait to see the final product of Elisabeths cake!!! Your roses are beautiful by the way. That is so fun and summery.

Ben said...

We'll play you in tennis too. Just no when it's so hot out!

carrie r. said...

Wow, I never thought of pre-baking cakes and then freezing them. It look like you frosted between the layers too. When you decorate them, do you have to let the cake defrost first? You are such a pro!

April said...

Can't wait to see the cake done. I need to learn from all of you cake decorators for when our kids arrive.