Sunday, June 29, 2008

Princess castle cake

Here is Elisabeth's princess castle cake, and boy am I glad that it's done :). No, I really do enjoy cake decorating and it's especially fun to try new things (the towers on this cake were new to me as were the starburst candy roses...normally I just make roses with the icing), but like I was telling Gina the other day, I probably wouldn't recreate this cake unless it was for a paid customer. The entire project(including baking time) probably took nearly 10 hours, though luckily I started a week ago and was able to do it over several days.
Here are the details on the cake for anyone who is interested:
I used 5 funfetti cake box mixes and made about 5 batches of buttercream icing. The cake is covered in buttercream and the grass and shell borders, the vines, leaves, rose buds and a couple other little details are also in buttercream. The door, windows and balls on the tops of towers are made in fondant, the banners are construction paper, the big roses are made from starburst candy, we used princess cake topper figurines (thanks Lori and Cameron), and the top border of both cakes I used marshmallows. The towers are made from a toilet paper roll with a cake cone inside and a sugar cone on top, frosted in buttercream. I added pink sprinkles on the sugar cones and the toilet paper roll and cake cone were covered in white fondant. I used a 12x12 square cake pan for the bottom and the top tier is a 9 inch circle.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

WOW ELISA!!!! I am so amazed by this. I can't believe all the work and detail that went into this! It's beautiful. I bet Elisabeth was in heaven. This really puts the "princess" cake I made for Penny to shame. :) Is this a talent you didn't know you posessed until you took a class? Or have you always been a cake pro.

carrie r. said...

Beautiful, Elisa! You did such an amazing job with this. Elisabeth is a lucky little 4 year old and she will always remember this cake!

Stacie said...

Wow Elisa, that is amazing! What a fun memory you will all always have!

Ben & Casey said...

That is the most beautiful and impressive cake I've ever seen! Elisabeth is such a lucky little princess.

Katherine said...

That is a rad cake!

JP said...

That is quite amazing. I wish I could fly you out to Switzerland to make Kelsey's 1st birthday cake in September. Any ideas for a beginner? What a lucky little girl Elisabeth!

Lori McDonald said...

Wow! I had no idea a few figurines from Baskin Robbins would inspire such a beautiful creation. I'm so glad they came in handy. Elisabeth is truly a lucky girl to have a mom with such a great talent and the patience to follow through with it. Good job - the cake is awesome! I'm afraid our kids will probably not be so lucky...

danilucas said...

I was wanting to make this cake but unsure how it took 5 cake mixes. I've never used a 12x12 pan how many cake mixes do you put in it?

Elisa said...

The 12x12 uses 4 cake boxes and then the 9 inch one on top would take another. Whenever I bake cakes, I always fill two pans and stack them on top of each other and put a filling in the middle. So I used one cake box to fill my 2, 9 inch circle pans and I used 4 cake boxes to fill my 2, 12x12 inch pans. I do it that way so that I can level them and they still look nice and tall.

danilucas said...

Thank you so much for replying. I think I'm going to try it. Hopefully mine turns out as beautiful as yours!