Thursday, June 5, 2008

The power of prayer

Yesterday afternoon Annabelle started screaming crying and wouldn't stop. I tried everything that I could think of to get her to stop. I tried feeding her and she refused and kept screaming. I tried her pacifer, same result. I put her on my shoulder for about 5 minutes, patted and rubbed her back, turned her facing out to put pressure on her tummy...same result, kept screaming and crying. I checked her diaper, she was poopy! I changed her but she kept on screaming. I put her on my shoulder again, rocked her, sang to her but nothing helped. Her face was SO red and she had been screaming crying for over 20 minutes so I really started to worry. It was definitely some sort of pain cry, but she wouldn't burp so what else could I do? I laid her down on my bed and checked her body to make sure nothing was pinching or hurting her. I found nothing and she continued to wail...though now it turned into that cry that you almost can't hear because they're having a hard time breathing. So now I'm thinking, "what do I do, what do I do? This is my third, I should be able to help her! Should I call my mom? No, she's probably at work and I can't see how that would really help. Should I call a nurse? (me going over the conversation in my head): 'Hi nurse, my baby is screaming and crying and she won't stop. Nothing is hurting her that I can see, and she won't eat and I've changed her diaper. What should I do?' No, I can't do that, she'll think I'm stupid and won't be able to help anyway unless I brought her in and that'd take too long. There's got to be something I can do! Pray! Yes pray!" Elisabeth was with me following me around because she was also concerned. I told her I was going to say a prayer so we both got down on our knees and prayed for our Sweet Annabelle. Once I finished I tried nursing her again. She latched on this time and drank, in between whimpers, but only for a couple of minutes and then she stopped and started screaming and crying again. I put her on my shoulder again, I just knew this was the answer, getting that little bit of milk in her had to have helped. I put some pressure on her tummy and back again and finally she let out a HUGE burp and within 30 seconds she stopped crying and was happy again. I took this picture a few minutes after she finished crying because she was smiling but her face was still all red and splotchy from crying. I'm so thankful for our father in heaven who hears and answers prayers.

5 comments:

MarieC said...

Poor sweetie! What a great example of prayer--one, I am sure, that Elisabeth will always remember!

LeMira said...

That picture really breaks my heart. I'm so glad you were able to help her. It's always nice to know there's somewhere we can always turn.

The Frosts said...

Oh, she looks so sad, even though she's not crying. I'm glad your prayers were answered and you got it figured out! It's so hard when they're so tiny!

Robin said...

Poor baby! That is so difficult when you feel like you're not sure how to help them. Reese had her 4 month shots today, and she had a really upset spell too. Thanks to your post, I remembered what to do...and she drifted off to sleep not long after I prayed :). Thanks!

Maryann said...

That is so hard, the poor little girl. It is hard being little and not being able to talk. I am happy that you were blessed to know how to help her.