Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Scary stories

Yesterday the kids were out back playing while I was inside nursing Annabelle and after a few minutes Elisabeth ran inside crying. Apparently she had a run in with the swing that Charles was on. We're lucky that her eyes were closed because she got a couple of nice cuts just below her eye and on her eyelid. Poor thing. I didn't dare let her look at herself in the mirror or see any blood because she freaks herself out and ends up making things worse. But it was hard for me to keep a poker face, especially upon first glimpse.

This afternoon I got an important phone call when the kids were being extremely loud so I shut myself, and the baby in the bathroom so that I could hear. We were in there for a minute or two when I got off and heard Charles crying, I wasn't too alarmed because Char cries fairly often. I followed the sound of his voice and found him in the kitchen, on top of the counter(he'd pulled a chair over from the table), next to an open cupboard, standing up over his own vomit with an entire bottle of red gel stool softener pills scattered all over the counter! Also the kids 'gummy vites'(multivitamins) were down on the counter(they're normally up high in the cupboard with the stool softeners and other meds) and there was a single gummy vite among the stool softener pills. I stood there in horror for a second before I sat the baby down and ran over to Charles to further investigate the scene. I quickly scanned the bottle which said to call Poison Control if a child gets a hold of it so I pulled out my cell phone, called Scott and had him look up the number for me. Then I counted all the pills; there were 91 and the bottle came filled with 100 but I knew I had taken at least 5 or more after I had the baby so Charles couldn't have had more than a couple. I called Poison Control, they asked me several questions and to my relief said he'd be fine, maybe have some diarrhea, and to call if anything changed otherwise they'd call tomorrow to check up on us. After I got off the phone I found one more pill; this one was in the vomit and had a bite mark through the middle. My theory is that he opened the bottle, dumped out the red, shiny, soft pills and thought he'd try one, tried to bite and swallow it but gagged on it and then threw up. I don't think he actually swallowed any because of how many I counted and because he hasn't had any bowel movements since then and after I cleaned up his vomit he seemed fine.

As a parent, I think I've never been more scared in my life then when I walked in on this scene. I'm very grateful that nothing terrible happened and that I was able to figure out that the location of our medicine cabinet isn't working without someone getting seriously poisoned. Charles has taken baby proofing to a whole new level for us. He figured out baby gates, he can get up in very high places and can open doors with the child proof handles on them. I'm always worried for his safety now because I can't always be there to protect him, for instance when I'm in the bathroom or helping another child or holding a hot pan etc., he could just slip out a door or get into something dangerous. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this yet. He is just over 2 now and understands a lot and so I think tomorrow I'll have a couple of safety talks with him and hopefully that will do the trick. I'll also be praying for some some extra help (maybe I can get some extra guardian angels). If any of you have other ideas I'd love to hear them. I was nearly at a breaking point today and was so extremely grateful when Scott got home from work so that he could hold me for a minute and tell me that everything is alright.

10 comments:

Cristin said...

I have often wondered how these toddlers manage to survive. They really do have guardian angels watching out for them. You do the best you can to try to watch them all the time, but it's not always possible. How scary. You are making me feel better about the weird things Luke has been doing lately. Maybe its not so abnormal after all.

LeMira said...

I know when we face things like this, we think "I'm a bad parent!" Let's face it, no matter how hard we try to keep them safe, they will get hurt and get into things we don't want them to. It's tough to not put it all on ourselves. I'm glad they're both okay, though!!

Ben & Casey said...

I'm so sorry! I can understand how you are feeling. No matter what we are doing, William can make it dangerous. We say a lot of prayers around here!

We keep our meds in a tupperware box on the top of the fridge. It isn't "pretty" but it keeps them out of reach. I've also seen boxes that lock.

ABW said...

wow, seriously how scary! is it a boy thing or what? was elisabeth anywhere near as rowdy? i am so happy that everything is ok with both of them.

Maren said...

Yikes, that is scary, but it seems you do have at least some guardian angels helping out because Charles and Elizabeth seem to have made it out okay. I am sure you will think of a great place for the new medicine area and how to keep it safe. I doubt he could climb to the top of a closet at this point. You could try that. Good Luck!

Robin said...

I am so glad everything is okay and your kids are doing fine. As a mom you just can't be everywhere at once, something I am having to learn these days. I am impressed that you kept such a level head to think to count the pills!

The Hornes'es said...

Oh Elisa!
What scary experiences!! I'm so glad both of the kids are ok!!
You are SUCH a good mother! Things like this can just happen, it's how we learn as kids...it's our sinful nature I guess! Yikes! I think talking with him will help!
You did everything right!
I'm praying for you guys, and sending praises that through this, everything turned out ok.

rachael said...

holy cow girl. what a day!! i cant believe you had such a bad day! i am so sorry! i am so impressed that you counted the pills ! good thinking! so glad both kids are ok!

berrymom said...

What a horrible experience! I am so glad everything was fine. I think these two experiences show that your kids do have some guardian angels. I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who is sometimes at the breaking point when daddy gets home. I am always SO grateful for him to walk in the door. You are awesome!

carrie r. said...

Oh goodness.. that is so scary! Whenever I hear Georgia cry out from another room and its not just a whine, I have so many crazy scenarios run through my head before I get to her. Usually she is just fine! I can't imagine walking in on what you did with Charles though! Glad he was okay, and Elisabeth too! I worry about that very thing with swings when we are at the playground.