Friday, April 4, 2008

Reorganization

Thank you for all of your suggestions with baby proofing. You'd think I'd have it down by baby number three, but the truth is that Elisabeth didn't need much baby proofing at all, if a door or drawer was closed or out of reach she just left it alone.

Yesterday I went through all of our kitchen cabinets and drawers and rearranged things so that they would be baby(toddler) safe. I moved all the medicine and our block of knives and extra steak knives up above our refrigerator in a cabinet that's even hard for me to get to when I'm standing on a chair so Charles has no chance, unless he learns how to throw a rope up there and climb :), hopefully that won't happen or at least not until he's older. I also had a talk with Charles yesterday and told him that if a door is closed and has a white handle on it(meaning child proof door knob), he's not allowed to open it and if he needs something from inside he can come get me and I'll help him. So far he's following that rule about 50% of the time which is great considering it's only been a day. I think he's just forgetting and it'll take some time to get used to. Now all I have to do is get 2 new door knobs that can lock from the outside with a key so that we can have a 'safe room' for baby Annabelle to sleep in and a 'safe room' for all of our cleaning supplies, art supplies and other things that we really don't want him playing with.

4 comments:

Rachel Lassen said...

Oh my goodness Elisa I am so glad that Charles is O.K. They are so amazing how quick they can get into trouble. I would much rather have a tree fall on my house then to go through what you did, how scary. I would not have been able to keep a level head like you did or even think to count the pills. You are so amazing and keep up the good work on your organizing and safety, your tips are great I think I am going to do the same thing in my house. I caught Hannah on the kitchen counter the other day so I think it is time to do the same!!

rachael said...

good job elisa, i think i will also follow your example and start moving things totally out of reach. we haven't had anything happen yet, (knock on wood)!

Cristin said...

Luke seems to be able to get through those "child proof" white door handles pretty easily, I think the only way is like you said, to put a new door knob on that locks. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a child that doesn't climb on the counters, etc.

Clark Family said...

Thank you for sharing your story! It is so scary what kids can do! Like many others have commented - good for you for thinking to count those pills! Not only have you learned from this, but now many others have too!