Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Healthy and yummy snack

(Sorry, I know this isn't a great picture)

My dear friend Elisa (now what are the chances that I'd have a close friend named Elisa, very slim. In fact I knew zero Elisa's growing up and then I move to Utah and meet 3!) shared some granola with me while we were visiting at a park. She made it herself and man was it good! I got the recipe from her and made a double batch on Saturday, which was kind of expensive :). I know nuts grow on trees, but not in our backyard and boy those things can be pricey. And honey and olive oil aren't exactly cheap either, especially when you use as much as I did making 2 batches. Hopefully it will last me awhile, I'll need to exercise some self control. Here's the recipe just in case anyone else would like to have it:

Granola

6 cups rolled oats

1 cup wheat germ

¼ cup sesame seeds (I didn’t have these)

1 tsp almond extract (optional)

1 ½ cups honey

2 T vanilla

2 cups nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)

½ cup sunflower seeds

½ cup oil (I used olive oil)

Mix grains, nuts, and seeds thoroughly. Pour oil and 1 cup of honey over mixture and stir well. Spread on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Stir occasionally while baking. When mixture is golden brown, take it out and mix in vanilla (and almond extract, if using). Put back into oven and bake 5 minutes more. Pour granola into large bowl and drizzle ½ cup honey over mixture. Stir well and allow to cool.

3 comments:

rachael said...

thanks for posting this recipe! I ate that whole bag last night , it was so so so good! thanks for sharing it with me! it was fun having you guys over yesterday! here is my email lahelahud@yahoo.com ( i cant remember why i am giving it to you , so send me an email and remind me ! thanks for your help with dinner too, it was so good they all loved it!

Mary said...

Yummy! I love granola!

Maryann said...

Wow, that sounds great! I will have to keep that one and use it. Thank you for sharing, and passing it on to us.