Sunday, February 3, 2008

Potential for a good day


Yesterday, Saturday, had so much potential for being a great day. In fact I was looking forward to it all week. I had my traditional pregnancy pedicure scheduled for 330pm, and before that Elisabeth and I were going on a mommy-daughter date(our first) to the dollar theater to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium...it was her first movie theater experience since she was a little tiny baby. Unfortunately, because I was so excited for these activities, when things didn't go exactly according to plan I felt completely disappointed. I should have taken Marjorie Hinckley's advice to "Expect the worst, and if it doesn't happen, you'll be pleasantly surprised!". So you're probably wondering, 'what happened?' Here's the story:

The day started out all wrong. I woke up at 4am, I suppose to go to the bathroom, it's something that happens several times in the night, but this time I couldn't fall back to sleep. Later that morning we all went grocery shopping which isn't exactly fun when you have two independent little ones, and when you're on a tight budget. When we got home we made lunch and got ready to head out to the movies. Scott and Charles dropped us off and said they'd be back at 2pm to pick us up. Elisabeth was really excited and curious to go into the theater and sit in the big folding chairs, but once we got to about the middle of the movie you could tell she was bored out of her mind. Luckily I had brought carmel corn, cookies and a lollipop so that tied her down for awhile but once she was finished with those she just wanted to stand on her chair and look around, climb the chair, bounce on the chair, take her boots off, lay on the chair, climb on top of mommy etc. About 10 minutes before the movie was finished she finally asked if we could go home now. To kill a little more time I told her that was fine but that she needed to get her boots back on first (remember it's really dark in the theater so it took her quite some time to find them and get them on the right feet). We finished the movie and went out to wait for the boys to pick us up, but they ended up being 30 minutes late. When we got home I changed into some flip flops and took off to my pedicure appointment. The only time I get pedicures is when I'm about to have a baby because they can be pretty pricey, so I had been looking forward to this hour pedicure since the conception :). The girl who gave the pedicure did an okay job, but she finished probably 10 minutes early and only did the foot scrub/rub part for a few minutes. Most of the time my feet were just soaking in warm water. I felt a bit riped off. When I got home I told Scott that from now on I'm just going to have him give me a pedicure and that way I can have him scrub and rub my feet as long as I want :), and then I'll just go in to have them do the toe nail polish. Later that evening we had problems getting Elisabeth to bed which never happens. She's normally so good about going to bed but since we've started trying to help her stop sucking her thumb at night she's been having problems. So after she got up probably 5 times, and each time saying, "I can't go to sleep mommy, I don't want to. I can't do anything and I just can't believe", I decided to give up the thumb sucking battle for now. You know, after writing this all out, it really doesn't seem like the day was ALL that bad, but since I was tired and since I'm 9 months pregnant(I blame almost EVERYTHING on that), things just seemed so much more dreadful, and in fact, I spent a good part of the day in tears :), I know, it's humiliating.

8 comments:

The Taylor Bunch said...

I heard somewhere that your kids can sense when labor will be soon and they act out. Who knows, maybe this baby will come early for you. Good luck!!! Let me know if you need anything.

Ben & Casey said...

Oh Elisa, I completely understand! It will get better soon. I promise!

I've had a bad pedicure before and I felt like crying about it too. So don't feel bad! :)

Robin said...

Elisa-I have been feeling "off" too lately. I am also hoping that it is mostly being so near the end of the pregnancy :). Almost there and almost closer to being normal again!

LeMira said...

I know about the whole thumb-sucking bit. Jackson still does, and personally, I just work on the daytime sucking. I sucked my fingers until I was at least in Kindergarten, and I stopped day-time "usage" on my own. My mom says I sucked my fingers at night well into childhood, but I don't remember it, I always thought I was cured.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that she'll give it up. Don't worry.

Angela said...

Oh,Elisa, I'm sorry your Saturday turned out to be a dud. When we come out, we'll have the boys watch the kids (except for the newbie) and we'll all go for a pedicure and treat you. If we split it three ways, it won't be so bad. Krissy will love it because she hasn't had one in over two years! Hang in there!

Ben said...

I kept waiting for you to get to the worst part....about Scott being halfway through his football game and it freezing up on him....I feel so bad for Scott, he has to start it all over now. (you hate me don't you??)

rachael said...

i hate days like that. i am sorry you had a bad day ! next time call me and we will go out to get are toes done together! that would be fun!

Maren said...

Those days are terrible. And, in Pollyanna style, you should find something glad about the day. For example, at least the pedicurist didn't make you bleed(very painful) or Scott didn't buy a car without you and then surprise you with it( not a good suprise) or maybe even that your water didn't break in the Sandy Dollar Theater(gross for them, and for you) See, there are so many positive things about Saturday- i just takes a few days after to think of them.