Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Healings

Yesterday was a terrible day. I woke up around 430am feeling so sick. Scott went to work around 7am and then Charles and I got up around 8am and I threw up, a lot. I got the kids some cereal and then laid on the couch. After an hour or two I was able to get down about a half a piece of toast but then within the hour it came back out again. I called Scott and let him know what was going on and he decided to leave work early. He got home around noon, just in time to make the kids lunch and put them down for naps. I had been resting before Scott got home; I just let the kids make a mess with all their toys and then thankfully Elisabeth decided to turn on Polar Express (I was wondering awhile ago if I never should have taught her how to get a DVD going by herself, but yesterday that skill came in handy :)).

While the kids were napping Scott started to get chills and his body was really achy so he laid down as well. The kids woke up and played with their toys while their sad parents miserably laid down on the bed and couch. Charles had a huge diarrhea that went out his diaper and all up his back, so I got up and cleaned him and while I was up I warmed them up some chicken for dinner. As Charles was finishing his dinner he started to cry and then threw everything up all over the table. I knew this was going to put me over the edge again so I called to Scott for help and went back to bed. All day I had been thinking, 'I need to try and keep some of this food down because if I can't by tomorrow then I'm going to have to get an IV(because of the baby) and I really don't want to do that...' I was a bit doubtful with all of my 'if' questions. Just after the kids went to bed I asked Scott if he could call someone to give us a priesthood blessing because I didn't see how we were going to make it through another day like this with sick Charles and a sick Mommy and Daddy. He did, and about 20 minutes later Brian and Greg (a couple of our neighbors) showed up and they gave us each a blessing. After the blessing Greg shared a couple of stories with us on blessings and he also shared his testimony with us on faith and healings. When they left something happened. I no longer had those 'if' questions but instead I knew that I would be better tomorrow morning after I had rested. Just before I went to sleep I took a half a unisom and a B6(something I did to help with nausea in the beginning of pregnancy), and then I said my prayers and went to sleep.

When I woke up this morning just before 8am I felt normal again, in fact I felt better than normal, I had so much strength and energy! I knew that the Lord had blessed me according to my faith and that today I would be able to take care of my family again. I felt like I had been taught a lesson though I wasn't exactly sure what it was, or at least how to put it in words. So this morning during my scripture study I read some scriptures from the Bible on faith and healings, especially when Jesus was among us blessing the sick and the afflicted. Then I looked up faith in the bible dictionary and in the first paragraph I read that, "Faith is kindled by hearing the testimony of those who have faith." and I knew immediately that was what happened the night before. The dictionary goes on to say that, "Faith is a principle of action...true faith always moves its possessor to some kind of physical and mental action....Although faith is a gift, it must be cultured and sought after until it grows from a tiny seed to a great tree." My increased faith and the blessing that I received changed the way I thought and because of that change I was able to get better quickly. I am so grateful for this gospel and for the power of the priesthood. I'm also grateful to those who are willing and courageous enough to share their testimonies with others so that we too can become stronger. I love the Lord with all my heart and know that He loves everyone of us and wants to bless us.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Oh Elisa! You poor thing! Scott too! When I hear about things like that I wish that we were close by so that we could help out:( I'm so glad that you recovered quickly. What a blessing it was to have your neighbor come by and testify to you. You are a great woman of faith.

Stacie said...

Thanks for sharing that. You have just shared your faith and testimony which will strengthen others. It did me.

Maryann said...

I am happy you are feeling better. The preisthood is greater than we know, isn't it. We are always being blessing by that wonderful gift.
When is your baby due? We have good news, we are expecting our third now as well. (around July)

Ben & Casey said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing. It made me tear up. Heavenly Father is so loving. I am so glad that you are feeling better!

Robin said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. Hopefully that bug will leave you and your family alone!! You are such a great example of faith and action. Thanks for sharing your uplifting experience.

hudson said...

elisa, please call me when something like this happens! i would love to help anyway i can! you have done so much for me and my family over the last several months! thank you so much for everything and sharing that! the preisthood is so powerful! it gave me the chills reading this story!

The Frosts said...

Your story is so great! Thanks for sharing. Having been in the same situation a couple months ago, I know how horrible it is to be deathly ill and pregnant. I'm SO glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself over the next couple weeks!!

Jamie said...

Elisa, you are such a great example to me. I admire you and your little family so much. Thanks for sharing. That made my day.