Friday, January 11, 2008

Charlie's 2 year wellness checkup

The night before Charlie's wellness doctor appointment Elisabeth woke up at 1130pm and threw up. We brought her upstairs to our bedroom and made a little bed for her on the floor. She threw up 4 more times within an hour and a half but then was able to sleep through the rest of the night. I reviewed my doctor's website the next morning which says to only give specific liquids the first 8 hours after throwing up and then the next 8 hours you can give some bland foods. When she woke up I just gave her sips of water and then towards the early afternoon I gave her half a banana and a couple of saltines with peanut butter. Still no more vomiting so that was good. Afterwards the kids took naps and I woke them up about an hour and a half later so that we could go to Char's doctor appointment. The appointment went well, Charlie's healthy and doing great and they didn't give him any shots! He weighs 25 lbs. 12 oz. and is 33 inches tall. When we were finishing up our visit Elisabeth gets out of her chair (she'd been sitting so quietly and still the whole time because she's sick), walks over to me and makes a funny face and a little groan. I asked her what was up and she just stood there. I asked if she felt sick and she nodded her head. Then I asked if she was going to throw up and again she nodded her head. The doctor said she'd grab a throw up bowl and while she was looking I watched Elisabeth and noticed she was swallowing a lot of saliva (which is something I always do just before I throw up...it's weird how you make so much more saliva right before it happens)so I quickly picked her up facing out and rushed her over to the sink. She threw up quite a bit, luckily most of if landed in the sink though she did get some on her clothes and a little bit on the carpet as well. So we had to go back to strictly liquids again for the rest of the day. It was kind of nice that it happened at the doctor's office so that she(the doctor) could see what was going on and give a little advice without having to charge me for an extra sick visit, perhaps I shouldn't be thinking of things like that but I do, and I notice when Heavenly Father tries to help us out in little ways like this.

Early this morning Charles woke up and his pajamas and sheets were a bit wet. He had thrown up some water apparently. So now I have two sick kiddos. Elisabeth hasn't thrown up since yesterday afternoon so this morning I gave her some eggs in bed(she's too weak to walk around since she hasn't eaten much over the last day and a half) and then she went back to sleep, and she's still in bed resting now. I'm glad that this doesn't happen often, and when it does it makes me realize how grateful I am to normally have a pretty healthy family, minus runny noses :), one of us always has that. In fact Charles had a yucky nose on his birthday and the next day I decided to withhold any sugary foods from his diet to help him fight things off but that didn't work because later that afternoon while I was in the living room with Elisabeth, he pulled a chair over to the counter, climbed on top, opened up my cake carrying tupperware and grabbed a couple of big handfuls of his leftover Lightning McQueen cake and shoved them in his mouth. I grabbed my camera and took a picture to view for my later enjoyment :)

4 comments:

Ben said...

That has gotten be the picture of the year. One because it is awesome, and two because it is only January, but that's hilarious. I need to document more a my childrens' misfitness.

Ben said...

"more of my"

hudson said...

sad, i hate when the kids are sick! but way cute pic!

Brian, Maren & Brigham said...

Sorry about the throwing up. That does stinks... literally. I hope they recover quickly because Brigham wants to play. Nice that your Dr. has a website. Brilliant.