Monday, December 10, 2007

"Mommy, I love learning!"

I haven't put Elisabeth in preschool yet(she's almost 3 and a half), and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I want her to be somewhat prepared for kindergarten so we work on things here and there, though we don't have a scheduled time, we just kind of incorporate learning things with our play and try and make it fun. She knows her numbers through 20 pretty well and in fact every day she likes to arrange all of her fruit snacks by fruit type, then she counts how many each type has, and then she counts them all together as a whole and as she eats them she'll recount them and see how many she has left. She knows her shapes and colors and lots of songs and rhymes. She knows her alphabet and all her sounds and can sound out some words, she's in the beginning stages of reading I suppose, and can read on her own lots of books that have a few words on each page. Just this last week I bought a little dry erase book that teaches you how to write your letters (thanks for the idea Gina). She was so excited when I pulled it out and showed her how to do it and while she was practicing her letters she kept saying, "Mommy, I'm learning to write my letters! I love learning Mommy!" It was so cute and of course I was pleased to hear her say something like that, hopefully she'll retain that love of learning throughout the years.

3 comments:

LeMira said...

She doesn't sound like she needs preschool. My mom (a former preschool teacher) says the best thing is for a mom to be involved with her children and play together and work on things at home. That's the best way to prepare a child for school, and Elisabeth knows so much already. Preschool is very nice for mommies, though.

hudson said...

wow i am impressed elisabeth good job! that is so fun i need to work with my kids like that so they can be smart too.

Trisha said...

Those cards are such a great idea. I'll have to remember that. Way to go Elisabeth!