Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Charles in Charge

Charles likes to do everything that the 'big people' are doing and more. He's nearly two, he talks and understands so much and feels like a very independent being. Most of the time I encourage him with his independence, for example he loves to help unload the dishwasher, but I don't want him helping with the breakable plates and bowls and glasses etc. so I pull out the silverware tray and let him put all those away while I quickly try and put everything else away so that we'll hopefully finish about the same time. When Daddy gets home from work, and opens the silverware drawer before dinner, he can always tell when I've had some help :).

Charles also likes to climb in our cupboards with a couple of small toys and play with them in a mostly dark area (he also closes the cupboard most of the way). I usually have to intervene fairly quickly because his favorite cupboard to play in is the one just under the sink and he loves to mess with the pipes, I know, not good. And if you look in the picture below you'll notice that the expression on his face doesn't say, 'oh no, I've been caught again doing something I know is naughty, I feel so bad.' but is actually one of happiness . Oh well, what can you do? Take a picture :), because it makes you feel better (well at least it makes me feel better, kind of lightens the mood)Another place he likes to just stand for awhile very quietly is in our fridge. He'll climb up on the first little ledge and then have the door close on him as far as it can get (which is almost completely shut) so when I'm looking for him in the house it's not a very noticeable spot and sometimes I have to search every room a couple of times before I remember this little trick of his.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, little boys! That picture of the silverware drawer is awesome. Good for you for letting him help you! I also like your play nativity. I really want one the boys can play with... I think it's great for them to have hands-on things like that.

Cristin Lassen said...

I'm laughing about him standing in the fridge! That is hilarious.

hudson said...

that is great that he gets in the fridge no wonder you were wondering about how i lock mine!

berrymom said...

Boys are so great! It is good to know that I am not the only one with mischevious little guys. I think I am going to take your idea of taking a picture when you find them doing something they shouldn't do.