Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Preparations

Well, I really shouldn't be sitting down to write a blog right now because I have SO much to do, but I am :). We get to have Scott's parents and sister out to visit over the Thanksgiving holiday and we're so excited! Elisabeth is especially excited about having Grandma and Grandpa sleep downstairs in the room right next to hers since she's normally down there all by herself. They will be flying in from North Carolina Thanksgiving afternoon, as long as there are no delays or problems (we'll keep our fingers crossed, holiday travel can be crazy sometimes).

Last weekend we did most of the food shopping, and yesterday I bought the turkey which was a new experience for me, in fact practically all of the Thanksgiving food preparations will be new to us. Scott and I have been frequenters of the website allrecipes.com over the last couple of weeks. That website is so cool! They have pictures and video instructions on how to roast/brine a turkey, how to cut it, and how to make anything else that you could possibly imagine. And the recipes are rated from 1-5 stars by people who've tried them out and they always have lots of comments from others who've tried out the recipe and will tell you what they did differently or what they liked or didn't like about it. Last night I made some freezer sweet rolls and Scott got started on his caramel apple pie. Tomorrow we'll be baking bread and cupcakes (the kids aren't pie eaters and Elisabeth made a special request for cupcakes so I thought that'd be a nice thing to have for them...and me :)) and preparing the veggies and turkey and then of course Thursday our oven will be occupied from sun up until the late afternoon cooking the turkey and yams and rolls and whatever else. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I've never made real mashed potatoes before. We always use the boxed flake kind that you just add milk and butter to. I'm familiar with how to make real mashed potatoes because I've seen it done loads of times while growing up and I've read a lot about how to do it and lots of friends and neighbors have given me little helpful tips so I think it'll all turn out well. If not, well, we've got some boxed potato flakes in our cupboard that we can whip up real fast :). We actually really like mashed potatoes made from the flakes, but I'm just kidding, we won't really use those (I hope I didn't just worry my in-laws too much by giving all this information :)) . Just 2 more days!!! Hooray!

5 comments:

The Frosts said...

Have a super fun Thanksgiving. How fun to have Scott's family coming! You HAVE to post the recipe of the carmel apple pie - that sounds divine! Good luck with the food prep, I'm sure it will all turn out great :)

Stacie said...

Fun times! I hope it's not too stressful so that you can enjoy it. Good luck! And isn't allrecipes awesome?

Robin said...

Tag you're it!! Check out my blog to see what tagged thing it is and to learn 6 interesting facts about myself.

Good luck with all the T-day prep. I did a turkey last year (around Christmas though), and it was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. You pretty much season it and stick it in the oven. I've heard oven bags help make it extra easy as well.

kelley said...

I once had really bad mashed potatoes as a kid one Thanksgiving and I cried the rest of the day... kidding!! I'm sure everything will be fine! We are so excited and grateful to get to come stay with yall for a whole week. See you tomorrow!!

Ben & Casey said...

Ooh Thanksgiving is so much fun! I had my first try at hosting last year and it was not as stressful as I thought it would be. I hope to do it again next year. I am sure everything will turn out wonderful!