Monday, October 29, 2007

Is it really genetic?



You may have to enlarge these pictures to see what Charlie is demonstrating (tongue rolling). Below is Elisabeth trying so hard to roll her tongue, but is unsuccessful. In my 7th grade Science class we were taught that it was a genetic trait, and I never could roll my tongue, but once we learned this interesting little fact I decided that I would practice with my tongue and so I would sit there during class period with my tongue stuck out and I'd pinch my tongue together with my index and thumb fingers so that it would roll. After about a week, I was able to do it on my own, with no finger help! Now you might say, well you must've had it in your genes, and perhaps that is true, but I am a strong believer that if you practice, exercise and work hard, that you can do just about anything, including rolling your tongue.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I love Charlie's little face! Maybe because it reminds me of another almost 2 year old I know. What funny boys they are. Elisabeth is getting just prettier and prettier all the time. What are they going to be for halloween? On second thought, I'm guessing we'll find out really soon. :)

Robin said...

I think it is not genetic, but you maybe predisposed genetically-that's why its easier for Charlie than little E right now. I couldn't roll my R's until I was 18 I think...and it took about a month of practicing to get it to work, but eventually it did!

Mary said...

Oh boy, I really don't know the answer to that one!

kelley said...

This is so funny! Jericho and I were just doing this the other day. (I can do it and he can't). I wanted to post similar pictures of the two of us making the attempts but he wouldn't go for it! I can't believe Charlie figured it out already. What a smart little man!

Angela said...

Get Charlie to fold his tongue like his Aunt Kelley and he will be her favorite. She can fold hers from the tip of her tongue to the back...kind of in half. :)