Monday, October 1, 2007

Halloween popcorn balls














Today the kiddies and I made some marshmallow, Halloween, popcorn balls. We mixed in some reeses pieces and some special Halloween sprinkles and then stuck them on sticks. In the picture below notice that the kids decided to ditch their sticks after a couple of bites:












We made extras so that we could have some after family home evening:

The weather has been pretty cold and yucky here recently so if any of you have other good ideas for crafts or other activities for kids, please share them!

Marshmallow popcorn balls:
1 bag popped popcorn
6 Tbsp. butter
about 1 bag marshmallows (a little less)
any mix-ins you want to add

Melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted. Pour over popped popcorn in a large bowl. Mix together. You can add mix-ins now or you can wait until you've formed them into balls and put them on sticks. Cover your hands with butter or pam spray so the marshmallows won't stick to them and then form balls, insert stick and place on wax or parchment paper. (If you want the popcorn ball to stay on the stick you'll have to wait until they've cooled before you try and eat it.)

10 comments:

Trisha said...

What a fun idea! They look yummy. Pass along that recipie!

Elisa said...

I've just added the recipe; it's easy with only a few steps so kids can help.

Q & A said...

Cute idea! Your kiddos look like they love it. Thanks for posting the recipe, I think we'll make them this week.

Cristin Lassen said...

This is a great idea, Luke might be too little so I am just making it for Erik and I. How fun!

Robin said...

Those are a really cute hands on activity for kids! And I have to say Elisabeth looks so cute (and older than when we last saw her a couple months ago!) in the first picture with her hair up.

Carrie said...

Those look really fun. I also think Elisabeth looks more grown up. Has her hair lightened a bit?

kelley said...

is charlie wearing a smock? LOL. that made me laugh... too cute!

Elisa said...

Charles is wearing this fantastic bib that covers his arms, his lap and has a little pouch to catch all the stuff he accidentally drops on the way to his mouth :). Whoever invented this is a genius(and probably a mom)!

Mary said...

Ooooh yummy! I love it! I want to try this!

Brian, Maren & Brigham said...

I love marshmallow...I love popcorn...this should be the perfect thing for me (and my double wide). I think the picture with Scott is hilarious.