Wednesday, September 26, 2007

20 month old twins?

I've decided that raising Charles must be like raising twins, or maybe even triplets. Over the past few weeks he has learned how to open the fridge, oven, dishwasher and all the doors, and besides that he's a terrific climber, a bit of a daredevil and has some how managed to get through (well, more like tear down and take part of the wall paint with it) things like baby gates. This has taken baby proofing to a whole new level. I'm not really sure what to do anymore, I might just end up buying a big cage for him to play in because otherwise I'm literally running around chasing him every minute of the day that he's awake or not strapped down in his booster seat eating. By the time Elisabeth learned how to do all that stuff, she was old enough to understand why she shouldn't be getting into them and the consequences if she did. Charles on the other hand doesn't seem to be able to control his curiosity, and doesn't seem to mind living with the consequences. I think he's just physically advanced for his mental age (a more positive way of putting it, eh? :)), hopefully a couple of months time will do the trick.

8 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

I've had the some problems with Luke and he is only 15 months old. He can't open the fridge or dishwasher yet (thank goodness!), but he can climb baby gates, get out of his crib and open the oven. I really don't know what to do either. I tried the big gate thing and that was a disaster. It's hard because there are just some things you can't alter, like the refrigerator (although I hear there are locks for that) or the wall - that is CRAZY - anyway, good luck. I keep telling myself that this is just a phase...

The Johnson Family said...

I completely understand what you are going through. I think that it is just part of raising boys. William has way more interest in getting into trouble and absolutely no fear of getting hurt. I think it is one of those things that will get better with time... I hope. :) Maybe when they are a little older we can focus all that energy on something else.

Jamie said...

Elisa! Help! Liam is the same! I think I'm going to go crazy. People will see Liam and say things like, "I have 2 boys and I'm always like 'don't touch! Get off of there! Don't touch!'". So I guess it's a normal thing but people think it's the cutest, funnest things and it wipes me out and makes me feel CRAZY. I guess it's consistency on our part so they don't take over and they'll eventually learn, right?!

Brian, Maren & Brigham said...

Cute blog! I love that we know some of the same people. I can tell Charles is an inquisitive one and you just moved in! He will probably teach Brigham how to open everything when he starts walking. Sweet.

Elisa said...

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with a child like this. I'd always heard that boys were more active than girls...now I finally understand :)

Vanessa said...

I don't know how you do it. You really have a good way of looking at the situation. I guess you need a good sense of humor when you're a mom.

Natalie said...

When he smears poop on the walls and body slams his sibling into a concussion call me! It only gets better! hehe we need to get together. email me at nataliehlambert@gmail.com

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, those 2nd kids pick up on everything SO fast!!