Thursday, September 6, 2007

Night time potty training

We've been working on night time potting training with Elisabeth for a long time. We tried working on the night time thing for awhile on several different occasions starting around 2 years of age. She was wearing a pull-up at night and would wake up in the morning and be soaking wet. So I decided to just stop with the pull ups and have her wear panties at night hoping that she wouldn't like the feel of being all wet and start to either hold it or get up and use the toilet. We did this for a couple of weeks but about every other night she had an accident, sometimes she'd just sleep through it and other times she'd wake up in the middle of the night and I'd have to quietly go into her room (Charles and her were sharing bedrooms), take all the sheets, blankets, and pillowcases off, wipe her bed down, put on clean linens, take her clothes off, wipe her down with a baby wipe(I was way too tired and lazy to give her a bath at 3am), put on new clothes and get her back in her bed. Scott was working and doing his 9 month grad school program at this time and so I didn't want to ask him to help, but I was getting extremely tired. So after a couple of weeks of this we just stopped for awhile. Also we don't let her drink much of anything after dinner, and always have her go pee just before bed, so I was a little confused as to why she was having so much trouble.

We tried again a couple of times and had the same results. I decided to wait to try again for a few months because maybe she just wasn't ready, or maybe her bladder needed to grow. Then we started a sticker chart. She still wore her pull up at night but if she woke up dry she could put a sticker on her sticker chart and if she got so many stickers in a row we'd have a party. It was going okay, she'd go two or three days dry and then she'd have a wet night. This was the case for a few weeks and then all of a sudden every morning she was wet again! I couldn't understand it. One night I put on her pull up at the usual time, around 730 or 8pm, and within about 5 minutes, even before she got in bed, it was wet! So I had to sit down and have a talk with her and tell her that this pull up was only for emergency situations and she wasn't supposed to go pee in it if she could possibly help it. Well, she didn't want to do that so I decided to wait until we moved and she and Char had their own rooms. So that's what we did. After we got settled in we started doing only panties again, and now Scott was done with school so he could be of more help. She has been doing okay, she'll be dry a couple of days and then have an accident.

I've noticed that usually when she gets up in the morning and she has wet the bed (she never gets us up at night, she just sleeps through it if she goes pee), she's soaking, and it's obviously just happened. So about a week ago I started reminding her every night just before she goes to bed how it feels to be all wet and stinky and how we don't want her room to stink, and her clothes and blankets to stink and so when she has to go pee to just jump out of bed and run for the toilet. I also told her that if she can be dry for 5 days in a row, which she's never done, that we'll go to an ice cream shop and she can have any kind she wants. On her fourth dry night I reminded her again that if she was dry tonight that when she got up in the morning we could go get ice cream at the ice cream shop! We were both very excited about the idea, we were jumping up and down, saying, "yay! ice cream tomorrow!" I think I got her a little too excited because this morning at 4am I hear her little footsteps coming into my room. She gets really close to my face and then whispers with a huge smile on her face, "Mommy I'm dry, we can have ice cream now!" We talked for a few minutes and finally I got her to go back to bed for the time being, and when she finally did wake up in the morning a few hours later she was still dry...so we're going to be getting some ice cream today after lunch! I just hope after this whole ice cream activity is over, that she'll still decide that she prefers to be dry in the morning and get up to use the toilet.

5 comments:

berrymom said...

I think that you are doing a great job with the potty training. My mom tells me horror stories about getting my brother to sleep through the night without wetting the bed. He was just such a deep sleeper that he couldn't do it. She bought a few lightweight sleeping bags and had him sleep in them at night, so it was easier for her when she got up to just throw one in the wash and throw a fresh one on the bed. She ended up getting these special underwear for him that beeped really loud whenever the sensors got wet. She and my dad took turns sleeping outside his room and when they heard that, they would get him up, have him go to the bathroom, give him a quick cool shower to really wake him up, and then let him go back to bed. That finally worked. It sounds like Elisabeth is going to get it without extreme measures. I am interested in how it goes, because I can already tell that Nicholas has a bit harder time with it than Thomas did.

Trisha said...

I am definitely not looking forward to potty training! Good luck on keeping the dry streak going!

Mary said...

Elisa,

I sure hope you have all the answers to this. I have no clue how to potty train David. I will probably contact you for help!

Elisa said...

nope Mary, I definitely don't. I'm just trying everything, trying to be patient and hoping something will work out :)

Carrie said...

Congrats on this milestone, even if its small! I definitely can't give you any advice on potty training since that's still in the distant future, but I can tell you one thing-- I've NEVER met a 10 year old that still wears diapers. :) So never fear! Elisabeth is as smart as any kid out there, I'm sure it'll click for her one of these days!