Sunday, July 1, 2007

How Scott and I met

Jamie, thanks for starting this chain, it's been fun to read everyone's stories of how they met; I had heard some of them before but it was nice to hear more in depth details :). So here's our story based on my memories:

Scott moved into the Elms Apartments at BYU during the Spring/Summer term of 2002. He was in the ward that I would be moving into that Fall and so he knew my roommates and even went on a couple of dates with a couple of them :). When I moved into the Elms in the end of August he had already moved out to a different building, still in the same apartment complex, but he was no longer in our ward...I think that would only happen in Utah :).

Scott invited our apartment of girls to play soccer with some other people over at DT field on Saturday's, a couple of us did play soccer quite a bit so we joined them almost every weekend. At this point in time we were all just friends, I had a missionary out that I thought was pretty cool so I wasn't too interested in other guys, and Scott was skinnier than me so that didn't help things either :), I know I shouldn't care about those things, but I did at the time. Well, apparently Scott had a different plan for 'us'. He came over fairly frequently and would hang out with whoever was around. One night for a friend's birthday party we went to see the second Harry Potter movie and Scott and I sat by each other. During the previews he whispered to me, "that actress is so and so (he didn't really say so and so but I can't remember who it was now)" and I said, "no, that is definitely not her, it's so and so." From this conversation Scott talked me into going on a date with him, he said something like, "let's put a wager on this. If you're right then I have to take you out on a date, and if I'm right then you'll have to take me out on a date." I agreed, mostly because I'm competitive and knew I was right. So Scott ended up taking me out to dinner at the Brick Oven.

We started hanging out even more, but still just as friends on my side, though I figured he probably liked me a little more. My older brother Fred was also living in the same apartment complex as us, and was also friends with Scott. One night a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving Scott asked me what our plans were over the holiday. I told him that Fred and I were flying home to Seattle to be with our family. I asked him what he was planning to do and he said he didn't know, that his family lived in North Carolina and that he wouldn't be able to go out there for such a short time....he sounded kinda bummed. So I suggested that he drive out to Seattle and have Thanksgiving with our family, thinking that of course that would sound absurd and he'd say no. But he agreed.

Fred and I called my parents and told them that we invited a friend to join us for Thanksgiving which they thought was great! I ended up getting credit for my flight and driving out with Scott so that he wouldn't have to make the 14 hour trip on his own. Apparently that was the turning point in our friendship. We got to talk about everything and anything! We had an endless amount of time. We talked, joked around, sang, memorized songs, talked some more, and we had a really good time. When we got to my house my whole family loved him, even my dad which was/is amazing! Scott still says that it was my little sister Becca that made me like him because while we were there she pulled me aside and said, "Elisa, he's really cool and he really likes you. I think you should give him a chance." During that trip we held hands and from then on we were pretty much inseparable, it didn't take long until I was head over heels in love with him. He proposed in February and we were married that July.

p.s. sorry I don't have any pictures, we didn't have a digital camera then and we haven't gotten around to scanning them yet. When I do I'll post them.

9 comments:

Home Suite Home said...

Elisa,

Great story! I think we should hear Scott's version (although I'm sure you have the "right" version. :)

I love the birthday pictures. What a fun day! I bet she loved the Snow White cake. Did it bother her to cut into it?

Angela

Home Suite Home said...

just changing my "from" name couldn't figure out another way to do it

Angela said...

got it

LeMira said...

What happened to the missionary? I hope that part went okay. I mean, I do really like Scott, but just wondering how you handled the missionary business.

Danica said...

Such a cute story! I think you're right about the whole, moving buildings and being in another ward being only in UT. :)

Trisha said...

Fun story. It's a good thing you finally decided to give Scott a chance!

Q & A said...

I had no idea that was how you guys ended up together. That is a great story!! I love the bday cake you made for Elisabeth and love even more that she wore her princess clothes around for the entire day. So fun! Wish her a belated birthday from us.

Jamie said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Scott was a man with a plan from the very beginning. I'm glad you guys ended up together. You're so great together!

Stacie said...

Thanks for sharing that story Elisa. I didn't know all those details. It's fun to hear them now, knowing that I was nearby the whole time (and obviously clueless!).