Monday, May 21, 2007

All pooped out (continue reading at your own discretion)

Charles has had ear infections for the last month and so the doctors have decided to put him on some stronger liquid antibiotics called Ceftin. These more powerful meds cause Char to have some unusual bowel movements occasionally. (Just as a side note, normal bowel movements for an almost one and a half year old are pretty much the same as adults.) This morning Scott and I realized that Char didn't have a bowel movement yesterday and were hoping that didn't mean today would be twice as much or more. We sat down together and ate breakfast and as Scott was clearing Charlie's spot he sniffed around a little and said to me, "I think Charles is stinky." Which in code terms means, 'Charles pooped and I'm telling you because you should probably change him since I'm getting ready to go to work.' :) So I walked over to Charlie, picked him up, felt something a little wet on his clothes, assumed it was from his water cup and proceeded to get a diaper, baby wipes and a changing pad. I laid him down on the pad zipped his sleeper down and was mortified by smell and sight to find brownish 'liquidy' poop(more like chunky diarrhea) oozing out of his diaper, soaking through his onsie and sleeper and completely covering his left leg! I called for reinforcement and Scott ran over with a plastic grocery bag so that I could wipe him all down with several baby wipes and then throw all the mess into the bag and get it out of the house. We put both Elisabeth and Charles in the bath and then Scott left for work. I bathed them and washed out his pajamas in the toilet and then got them all dressed in clean clothes again. We walked back out to the living room where the accident happened and I found a little liquidy poop ball on the floor! So I quickly cleaned up the area thinking that it must've just flung out from his pajamas when I quickly yanked them off of him, but then I realized that more of it was oozing out of his new diaper! So we had to go through the whole clothes stripping and cleaning process one more time, by the end of it I was all pooped out, I'd had enough for the entire week. Thank goodness today is the last day (day ten!) that he has to take Ceftin.

P.S. It is now one in the afternoon and we have just had a third nasty blowout! After filling this diaper up instead of going down the leg it went up and covered his tummy, nice work Char :). You'd think I have a newborn or something.

6 comments:

Robin said...

That's awful! It is amazing what things you can handle cleaning up when it came out of your own child. For instance, Shaun decided to have some fun gagging himself (on purpose!) yesterday, so I got to clean up a nice little throw up spot twice:)!

Gina said...

I guess Ben isn't the only one who has to clean up a real mess the last few days. Luckily I haven't had one with Kamri yet - knock on wood.

Carrie said...

"I found a little liquidy poop ball on the floor"...

Call it a twisted mommy sense of humor, whatever it is, I must have it because I laughed my head off when I read that line... in an empathetic sort of way, of course. Hopefully he gets this out of his system today.

Danica said...

Oh sick. I'm sorry guys!

Jamie said...

Good thing Charlie is so gosh-darn cute. Makes cleaning up all the poo worth it, right? NOT FUN having sick kids.

Cristin Lassen said...

I'm surprised he didn't do it in the bathtub too...